"You're here because you just asked how to make an MMORPG on a forum, or you asked for a team to make an MMORPG and provided little/no information about your project"
Or "Roboguy's guide to making MMORPG posts"
Disclaimer: I haven't actually made an MMORPG at the time of writing, so I can't claim to be an expert. However, I can provide some help on what to learn and what information to provide to get a team.
If you're here because you asked how to make an MMORPG, read List 1; if you asked for a team, and provided no info, read List 2.
- Learn a programming language (such as C++ or Python (which is better for beginners))
- Learn a graphics API (such as DirectX, Win32 + OpenGL, or SDL + OpenGL)
- Make several games using the programming you've learned, including a few networked games and RPG or two
- Once you've done all that (which may take a while), read List 2.
- Make sure you've done everything on List 1.
- Create a design document
- Create a tech demo
- Create a website with information about the project and links to the tech demo download(s) and design document
- Once you've done all this, you should be ready to ask for a team on a forum (Be sure you provide a link to your website)
Note: This is by no means the only languages you can use, these are just the ones I suggest learning
I'll add more to this page (such as more helpful links) when I get the time.
If you have any suggestions, feel free to email me (Or PM me on Gamedev (my username is Roboguy)): firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2005, 2006, 2007 Roboguy.net